Monday

Quotes About Drink


People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim.
— Ann Landers

Drink really promises you everything and gives you nothing.
— Nancy Astor

When you stop drinking, you have to deal with this marvelous personality that started you drinking in the first place.
— Jimmy Breslin

Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with it’s just compounding the felony.
— Robert Benchley

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?
— W. C. Fields

An alcoholic is someone you don’t like who drinks as much as you do.
— Dylan Thomas

I am prepared to believe that a dry martini slightly impairs the palate, but think what it does for the soul.
— Alec Waugh

The whole world is about three drinks behind.
— Humphrey Bogart

Drunkenness is nothing but voluntary madness.
— Seneca the Younger

— Joyce Rebeta-Burditt

Bacchus hath drowned more men than Neptune.
— Thomas Fuller

Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy.
— Samuel Johnson

I don’t drink any more—Just the same amount.
— Joe E. Lewis

When you teetotal, you’ve got an awful feeling that everybody’s your boss.
— Will Fyffe

You must know your limitations.  I drink a bottle of Jack Daniel’s a day, that’s mine.
— Lemmy, of Motšrhead, a heavy-metal band

I drink to make other people interesting.
— George Jean Nathan

Two reasons for drinking: one is, when you are thirsty, to cure it; the other, when you are not thirsty, to prevent it.
— Thomas Love Peacock

Champagne, if you are seeking the truth, is better than a lie detector.  It encourages a man to be expansive, even reckless, while lie detectors are only a challenge to tell lies successfully.
— Graham Greene

A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover.
— Clifton Fadiman

A woman drove me to drink and I never even had the courtesy to thank her.
— W. C. Fields (attrib.)

A man is never drunk if he can lie on the floor without holding on.
— Joe E. Lewis

I drink to forget I drink.
— Joe E. Lewis

I must get out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini
— Alexander Woolcott (attrib.)

One reason I don’t drink is that I want to know when I’m having a good time.
— Nancy Astor

I drink no more than a sponge.
— Francois Rabelais

I drink when I have occasion and sometimes when I have no occasion.
— Miguel de Cervantes

Kings it makes gods, and meaner creatures, kings.
— William Shakespeare

One drink is plenty; two drinks too many, and three not half enough.
— W. Knox Haynes

A good general rule is to state that the bouquet is better than the taste, and vice versa.
— Stephen Potter, on wine one-upmanship

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

sponsor