Tuesday

Quotes About Belief


Beware of the community in which blasphemy does not exist: underneath, atheism runs rampant.
— Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis

Conversion for me was not a Damascus Road experience.  I slowly moved into an intellectual acceptance of what my intuition had always known.
— Madeleine L’Engle

Man is what he believes.
— Anton Chekhov

We have to believe in free will.  We’ve got no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer

All I have seen teaches me to trust the creator for all I have not seen.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have never deceived us.
— Samuel Johnson

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
— Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

I’d rather be strongly wrong than weakly right.
— Tallulah Bankhead

A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind.
— Robert Bolton

Whether you are really right or not doesn’t matter; it’s the belief that counts.
— Robertson Davies

If God be for us, who can be against us?
— Romans 8:31

I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh I shall see God.
— Job 19:25-26

When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
— Oscar Wilde

Surely the Lord is in this place; and I knew it not.
— Genesis 28:16

I would not say I believe.  I know!  I have had the experience of being gripped by something that is stronger than myself, something that people call God.
— Carl Jung

I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance.
— Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

They conquer who believe they can.
— John Dryden

I am proud of the revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought...the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but the hands of God.
— John F. Kennedy

Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman, but believing what he read made him mad.
— George Bernard Shaw

The only completely consistent people are the dead.
— Aldous Huxley

Mix a conviction with a man and something happens.
— Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.

Any man’s a crowd who won’t die for what he believes.
— Chester Bomar Himes
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

sponsor